Elkhart General Hospital is seeking an experienced primary gardener for the hospital’s Learning Garden. The garden, which is 600 square feet and located on the hospital grounds, is entering into its third successful season as part of Elkhart General’s healthy food commitment.
Hospital clinicians use harvested vegetables in food demonstrations for patients of the intensive cardiac rehab program, the bariatric surgery program and the diabetic program. The goal is to help patients learn new, healthy ways to prepare meals.
The Learning Garden also supports Seed to Feed, a program of Church Community Services that works alongside the Food Bank of Elkhart County to address local hunger needs.
Interested in learning more about this volunteer position? Contact Sami Kauffman, MA, RD, CD, Clinical Nutrition Manager, at 574.523.3296, or Phyllis Miller, RN, MPA, Billing & Systems Analyst/Clinical Decision Support, at 574.296.6519.
Primary responsibilities for primary gardener:
- Develop and adjust garden plan as needed with coordination from the clinics, dietitians and Seed to Feed.
- Serve as the primary contact with Seed to Feed.
- Coordinate delivery to Seed to Feed.
- Communicate needs to volunteers and availability to clinics and dietitians.
- Work with landscaper regarding garden needs.
- Be able to commit eight to 10 hours per week to the garden, based on the phase of planting/harvesting and the number of volunteers available.