Memorial Hospital teamed up with the South Bend Cubs on May 5 to Strike Out Stroke in recognition of Stroke Awareness Month. During the event, more than 50 participants received a blood pressure screening and stroke information. Plus, the Stroke Program team gave away two FitBits and an autographed bat from the South Bend Cubs.
Click on the picture below to view WNDU’s coverage of the Strike Out Stroke event, including an interview with Nicole Stevens, RN, Stroke Program Coordinator at Memorial Hospital:
Spot a Stroke – Remember FAST
F — Face drooping
A — Arm weakness
S — Speech difficulty
T — Time to call 9-1-1
5 Stroke Facts
1. Stroke is a brain attack, cutting off vital blood flow and oxygen to the brain.
2. Stroke can happen to anyone at any time.
3. Fast treatment can reduce the brain damage that stroke can cause.
4. There are nearly 7 million stroke survivors in the U.S. and it is the 5th leading cause of death in the U.S.
5. About one third of stroke patients are between 20 and 64 years old.